Department goals are a great way of providing transparency and encouraging alignment within your department groups. It is simple to create department-level goals in Weekly10 which will be visible to all employees within that department group. Teams or employees can choose to align or add sub-goal additional goals to them.
You will need to be a Weekly10 admin or department admin to create department scope goals, but the process is simple:
- Go to the goals dashboard
- Set the scope to ‘Department’ and select the relevant department.
- Select the date range that you wish to set the Goal for. The view will default to the current quarter, but you can change this.
- Click on ‘Add Goal’
- You can select to create either an ‘Objective’ (a non-measurable and high-level strategic aim) or a more specific ‘Goal’
- When choosing ‘Objective’ you will only be asked to enter a description and start/end date. We would strongly recommend adding sub-goals so that the overall objective can display progress and a Red/Amber/Green (RAG) status.
- If you are creating a 'Goal’, you may also wish to align this to a parent goal at the Organisation level.
- When creating a ‘Goal’ you should add a description, start/end date and fill out the specific criteria which this goal will be measured against (you have several options for goal unit More details about Goal units can be accessed here. The baseline value should be the starting point (for example $0 revenue) and the target value the final aim ($1,000,000). The progress of the goal and its RAG status will be measured against these values
- Select a ‘Responsible Person’ who is assigned the responsibility to update this goal on a regular basis on behalf of the organisation. It will not form part of their personal goals. This person will need to be a member of the department.
- You also have the option to set the Goal to auto-calculate. When setting this, the overall progress of this goal will not be updated, instead it will take its value from the sub-goals (either at this level or lower levels.) Auto-calculate is great for aggregating data such as sales figures from different departments or tracking the success of an initiative or project which is split into sub-goals.
- When using auto-calculate with the % unit you may also add sub-goal weights – read more about auto-calculate and sub-goal weights here.
- You may optionally add sub-goals which can help break this target down. You set these in the same way as the top-level goal
- Click ‘Save’
- The Goal will now be created and visible to all those within that department group within the goal dashboard
Updating Company-wide Goals
The responsible person will be asked to update the progress of goals during their regular Weekly10 check-in. The progress of the goals can also be updated from the goal screen by clicking the three dots option and selecting ‘Update progress’.
Completing or archiving Goals
An admin can archive (or complete) a goal at any time. This will mean no further updates of the goal will be allowed but you can still view the goal at anytime.
View Goal progress
You can view the progress of a goal at any point by clicking on ‘Progress’ option from the three dot dropdown. This will display a progress chart and breakdown of each update provided against the goal as well as an edit history. You can also choose to export the data to csv too.