It is simple to create goals in Weekly10. Goals can be aligned to team, department or organisational objectives or be used as personal development targets. When you create a goal, it will be visible to your manager and any senior managers. They will not be visible to peers but may be visible to administrators or HR.
When creating goals, you can select specific units and time periods to make sure that the goals are as SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Time-based).
You will also see in the goals screen that there are a number of ‘Scopes’ – you can read more on different scopes here.
You or your manager can create a personal goal, but the process is simple:
- Go to the ‘My Updates/Me tab’ and select ‘Goals’
- The scope should be set to ‘Personal’.
- Select the date range that you wish to set the Goal for. The view will default to the current quarter, but you can change this.
- Click on ‘Create Goal.’
- If you are creating a goal, you may align this to a parent goal at the Team, department or organisation level.
- Now add a description, start/end date and fill out the specific criteria which this goal will be measured against. More details about Goal units can be accessed here. The baseline value should be the starting point (for example $0 revenue) and the target value the final aim ($1,000,000). The progress of the goal and its RAG status will be measured against these values.
- You also have the option to set the goal to ‘auto-calculate’, when setting this the overall progress of this goal will not be updated, instead it will take its value from the sub-goals (either at this level or lower levels). Auto-calculate is great for aggregating data such as sales figures from different departments or tracking the success of an initiative or project which is split into sub-goals.
- When using auto-calculate with the % unit you may also add sub-goal weights – read more about auto-calculate and sub-goal weights here.
- You may optionally add sub-goals which can help break this target down. You set these in the same way as the top-level goal
- Click ‘Save’
- The Goal will now be created and visible within the current dashboard
The goals will be updated either via the goal screen and/or via the Weekly10 check-in. If using auto-calculate the progress of the goal will be calculated from the sub-goals attached, and if using % may use weighting to calculate the progress.
Goals can be edited at any point by the employee or manager by selecting the ‘Context’ menu on the right side of the screen. An audit trail is maintained.
You will be asked to update the progress of goals during their regular check-in. The progress of the goals can also be updated from the goal screen by selecting ‘Update Goal from the ‘Context’ menu.
Completing or archiving Department Goals
You or the manager can archive (or complete) a goal from the ‘Context’ menu at any time. This will mean no further updates of the goal will be recorded.
View Goal progress
You can view the progress of a goal at any point by clicking on the progress circle or from the ‘Context’ menu by clicking on ‘View Progress’. This will display a progress chart and breakdown of each update provided against any sub-goals.